We get lots of questions from people wanting to know¬†how to donate a car, truck, van, RV or other vehicle to charity. And since the more you know, the easier it will be for you to make the right decisions. So here at Harold’s Car Donations for Charity, we try to answer every question about donating a car or other vehicle to charity.

If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, the please call us at: 1-800-310-5274. Or simply¬†fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page.

Q. Are there any costs for me to donate my car?

A. Never! We pay for towing.

Q. Can I donate my car even if it’s not running or has been crashed?

A. Absolutely! We get top dollar for non-runners and wrecks.

Q. How is your company better than your competition?

A. Based on over 25 years of car repair experience, each car is evaluated to determine where it will be sent in order to produce the maximum amount of profit. Some cars get fully detailed to maximize visual appeal at auction. This always generates more interest and interested bidders, which drives the price higher. As long as it is determined that it is cost-effective, some cars are repaired in order to increase the selling price. Both detailing and repairing raise the buying price, which brings more money to the charity, and gives you a higher tax write off! This is in 100% accordance with IRS laws.

Q. I lost my title, do I need to get a new one?
A. No. We can usually accept your car by having you sign some DMV application forms. Occasionally we need to take an additional step, but this is a simple process.

Q. My car will not pass a smog check, can I donate it?

A. Never a problem! You can donate a car that will not pass a smog check.

Q. I still owe money on my vehicle, can I donate it?

A. Unfortunately, no. The lender keeps the title until the vehicle has been paid off.

Q. I have heard of people donating a car and having trouble later, how is this avoided?

A. ANotice of Transfer and Release of Liability form gets filed with the DMV as soon as the car, truck, van, etc. is picked up. The best way to file this on through the DMV website. This gives you a legal document which releases you from any further liability for the car.

Q. How do I get a tax deduction for a car donation?

A. On cars that sell for more than $500.00, an IRS form called a “Form 1098-C” gets mailed to you within 30 days of the sale. You include the 1098-C with your federal tax return to get your tax deduction. On cars that sold for less than $500.00, a thank you letter is provided.

Q. How long does it take to pick up my car?

A. Usually we pick up the next day, however we are often able to pick up that same day.

Q. How do we know you are a legitimate company?

A. We are bonded and registered with the California Attorney General’s Office as a Commercial Fundraiser (click to view registration). You can also check us out at the Better Business Bureau

You can also visit the State of California Department of Justice Office of the Attorney General to search the “Registry of Charitable Trusts” and search for Harold’s Car Donation Service…You’ll find us there.

Q. How long has your company been doing this?

A. We have been helping charities with car donations since 1997.

Q. Is there any paperwork I have to do?

A. No, with the exception of the Transfer and Release of Liability form which a donor is required by law to file. But we will also help you with this to ensure it gets done. It’s really quite easy.

Q. Where are you licensed to operate?

A. We can handle charities throughout the entire state of California. However if a California charity has a car donated that is located in another state we can still handle it from end to end. We are signed up with hundreds of auctions coast to coast, including Hawaii.

SEO Company Los Angeles California USA